Equal opportunity can be described as a fundamental notion for our future. Equal access to education, health care system, entrepreneurship or any other domain is an important contributor to the advancement of a society.
A healthy society is a place where all members are productive and can contribute to the national economic growth. Equal chances is the key to social development in Romania and an important way to ensure the necessary environment so that everyone has a chance to achieve his dream.
Discrimination impedes economic growth and has substantial negative consequences on GDP, but only few of us know about this situation. I will try to mention some of the first problems I encountered when I started fighting against discrimination.
- To create reproductive educational campaigns so we can avoid unwanted or teenage pregnancies and provide a free access to parental planning and specific health care services;
- To adopt laws and institutional procedures that ensure immediate adoption of legal sanctions for harassment and ending domestic violence practices;
- To adopt laws and necessary institutional procedures regarding protection, assistance and rehabilitation of domestic violence and sexual abused victims;
- To adopt laws and institutional procedures to help increase women’s labor force participation rate (wage gap reduction, childcare alternatives for working moms, zero tolerance policy for any form of sexual harassment in the workplace);
- To adopt laws and institutional procedures to increase the employment rate of people with disabilities (from professional training courses to more inclusive work environments);
- To build effective public-private partnerships in order to offer mentor programs for women who want an ambitious career regarding leadership positions, entrepreneurship or inventorship;
- To adopt ending emotional, online and street harassment laws, to initiate anti-bullying policies in schools and to implement tougher penalties for any form of abuse.
Please take a look at my parliamentary activity and the legislative initiatives I proposed on equal opportunities, gender equality and ending violence against women.